Photography, Pseudoarchaeology, Puffery & the Paranormal

You probably thought my goodness what a title ! I will do my level best to make the above make sense in this blog..

For many years I have taken photographs of the area where I live  ( Blackpool, including the Fylde & Wyre of course ) heritage and history, and at times I have captured oddities, ghosts? Perhaps who knows - Just love a good old church or vintage building. 


With regards to the photography side I think in all the years
 taking shots, just two have been sold for £. I am not in this for the money ( if I was I would be doing weddings every weekend ) Twitter and facebook are great for finding new friends with similar interests, but alas that also brings out the idiots*, bullies and *I know better than thou people*. Have I had encounters with people like that, yes sad to say, so blocking was the order of the day, just no need in this day and age, you can propably name a few now ! The only person  that you need to please is yourself, if others like and pos buy..  BONUS! Block and ignore the haters and idiots. 

 So another part of what I do/still do is write about heritage, history and the paranormal and all the odd things that mix in as well. 

I read something on facebook recently which got me thinking - the question was posed and whom would we pick, a lifetime achievement award, the best of the best, would you choose someone based on the reasearch or books written?
Could you name someone ? Would it be a medium, a real reasearcher who put time and effort in, not just seeking the glory, perhaps a TV cast member...

Myself, I would want to pick someone who is not an egomaniac ! I want them to have made a quality contribution to the paranormal/ufology field, yes money can be made from this *path, but at the end of the day why are people penning the books, doing the investigations, is it to find out more, answer the question or meaning of life or what happens when we die.. Have a ponder..

One comment whoch made me have quite a wry smile was the following - In all honesty I couldn't name one person as many are within the friendship clicks of mutual adoration and the others are fighting for para fame and money , the odd select few are ostracized for standing on our own so their work is overshadowed by the glory brigade.

I came accross quite a fantastic word - Puffery ! 
In everyday language, puffery refers to exaggerated or false praise, in law it can mean a promotional statement or claim that expresses subjective rather than objective views. 
Puffery serves to puff up an exaggerated image of what or whom is being .

More people need to use this word it's very apt for certain individuals within the para/ufology and photography/art scene. 




 And finally I promise .. 
A rather good explainantion below of  - Pseudoarcheology 
This is presented as pseudoscience focused on the study or promotion of archaeology in ways which do not meet the basic standards of the scientific method. Pseudoarcheology can often involvs the study of real archaeological objects such as Eygpt, Stonehenge, but ascribes alleged mystical powers or supernatural/paranormal origins to them. Belief in ancient astronauts, or in mythological locations such as Atlantis, are sometimes part of pseudoarcheology. 

I plan to use this in my adventures in the future ! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blackpool's Palatine Buildings !

Devonshire Road Hospital.... soon to be ?

Fylde Farm